fixing weapon ranges

More
8 years 6 months ago #611 by dmai
fixing weapon ranges was created by dmai
i noticed ppl complaining about weapon ranges being to small allowing "shotgun" weapons to heavily outperform 255range canons(since 255 is about 5cm more range then 10 and can be crossed in a few seconds)

so instead of using range=N for weapon ranges range=N^root(N) with a base of 5-10

this would cause 255 weapons to have extreme ranges(artillery type weapons)(19million base5)(15k base10)
range 100 weapon(long range attak ships)(100k base5)(1.4k base10)
50 range(midrange ships)(5000 base 5)(325 base10)
<25 range(short range)(<485 base5) (<84 base10)

argument for low base:
higher range disparity between ships would make rushing into (100)longrange ships with short (<25) range ships very difficult(most hulls would be ripped apart before they ever closed in) and create a requirement for tactical play using radar jamming stealth and similar tactics

argument for high base:
lower curve between range classes(i prefer this) it would balance out better between ships making midrange and high range ships still vulnerable to rushes and combat less about range

well that my 1$ worth tell me what you think

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #612 by dmai
Replied by dmai on topic fixing weapon ranges
another thing that can be required for this is fire at scouted targets commands(indirect fire), and an incresase in radar ranges using a range=N^root(N) to the basse of weapon ranges+1 making visible ranges far shorter then weapon ranges(meaning you will have to scout or put a stronger radar then weapon for long range ships

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #615 by Cyrusblack2
Replied by Cyrusblack2 on topic fixing weapon ranges
reasoning:certain units (mainly maxed out fighters) are only in the vis range of bigger ships for a split second, then gone. using the shotgun effect of short short range High speed units allow for disparate firepower in comparison. basically you cant hit them.
2nd:
big ship maneuvering speeds to turn and aim at targets, to face a target, can take 30 seconds to do so the guy that gets behind you now is only there fore a few seconds, you will spin like a slow top. increased effect of vis range would allow for more prep time

do not alter existing math for hull usage (or do so minimally) cuz then whats the point of increasing the range pairings?

dont forget to upgrade det range to the same thing since it would change its effectiveness

make sure 255 range isnt TOOO far using the base pairing. for instance, heres the doubling set vs the original radar ranges i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad349/xCyrusBlackx/scaling-1.png

i am inclined to agree with anxcon on spotters though, if you have a guy hiding halfway cross the solar system slamming you well out of range using a spotter, theres no way to find him and counter him effectively. unless of course, range is shorter then being to crazy.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Cyrusblack2.

More
8 years 6 months ago #618 by dmai
Replied by dmai on topic fixing weapon ranges
maybe ((1.2 - (lRange^1.07 / oWeapon.MaxRangeAccuracy)) * 50) for the weapon accuracy calculation
1.2 to balance out the multiplier at short ranges
^1.07 makes weapons at 1k range 1.5x less accurate and at 10k range 2x less accurate and can be adjusted for balancing

from what i saw of the code would need only 5-6 small edits to tweak it(i can read code but not write it so dont rely on me)

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #619 by Cyrusblack2
note, that the extention between 200 255 being double all the rest of it, cruisers, destroyers and such, which move at a rate of less then 10 speed and 1 manuver (usuals: 5 1 destoyers, and 1 1 battleships), wouldnt be able to get in range with there 200 range guns in time, which is why i suggest 255 to only be half of what im representing it as, or a third.

also a accuracy cut over range would prolly help alot. in real life, these ranges would require massive computer calculations (not the computers we are using, computers that the spaceships use)

also, from what we have learned about optimum accuracy of ship weapons target hull/10= 99% baseline accuracy or something. so yeah, add a -% for long range, and you prolly have it balanced out.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Cyrusblack2.

More
8 years 6 months ago #621 by Cyrusblack2
also consider using the following ratios for multiplication

leaving 50 range as it is, multiply it by the following for when it reaches teh following milestones:
100 150 200 255 -range equivalent
x5 x8 x12 x15 - "balanced" concept for range pacing
x3 x6 x9 x12 - base by x3 interval

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds