Change to Allow Multiple Engines

• Trifler
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 8 months ago #533 by Trifler
Change to Allow Multiple Engines was created by Trifler
This is a long-term suggestion, but I think the game would benefit from a change to allow the use of multiple engines in designs.

Now before people go and say this would make power generators way too overpowered, I would fully expect the power engines to be rebalanced to look at working along some sort of power per HU ratio. That way you could have one giant power engine or tons of tiny power engines and you'd get roughly the same amount of power. Same thing for the engine costs. The power engines aren't the reason behind this idea though.

For units, it would make the game more realistic and therefore intuitive to be able to use multiple engines. It would be easier for newbies and lowbies to compete. It would make designing new units somewhat easier for everyone.

Basically what I envision is this: Engine squares would be added in the Hull Designer similarly to Weapons and Bay Doors. You'd have that little field for typing a number in so you can create groups of Engine squares. Then, in the Prototype Designer, instead of having a dropdown on the UI for the engine as we have now, you would instead click on the engine group and a small pop-up menu would appear listing all of the engines you have that would fit. (In fact, the Weapon selection box in the upper-right could be eliminated by doing the same thing.) The code would (hopefully) do something like this: It would sum the Thrust and find a weighted average for the Speed and Maneuver. In that way, the code could continue operating as if there was only one engine, even though there are several (Have to check this with Adam).

Then, of course, multiple engines would allow units to limp along one any remaining engine(s) when an engine is lost in battle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #537 by blackfang
Replied by blackfang on topic Change to Allow Multiple Engines
The only problem i really see with it besides the coding would be that people would be much more inclined to use two engines, i kinda like the concept tough but i want the possibility for one engine altough a very powerful one or two engines that makes for a craft with a backup:P

More
8 years 8 months ago #543 by Amerlain
Replied by Amerlain on topic Change to Allow Multiple Engines
I think this is an interesting idea, one I fanstasized about before (in the last two months of play). However, I think though multiple engines would be best limited to space stations, and at that to the largest (Battle Station) hull, and at that limiting it to just One additional engine (a total of 2). My reasoning for this is that having multiple engines possible for all units, for whatever means, would affect game balance far beyond what it may seem on paper, and would increase the difficulty of entry for new players...veteran players would have a much easier time designing units/facilities with multiple engines, and so would cause new players to feel even more lost than they already did before. Also, can you imagine how mind-bogglingly fast a unit with multiple engines would be, if the engines were built withthe full tech tree for speed behind them? If enabled though, even if it would just be for a battle station, any additional engines added should add considerably to the cost of each unit/facility produced.

• Trifler
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 8 months ago #546 by Trifler
Replied by Trifler on topic Change to Allow Multiple Engines

Amerlain wrote: I think this is an interesting idea, one I fanstasized about before (in the last two months of play). However, I think though multiple engines would be best limited to space stations, and at that to the largest (Battle Station) hull, and at that limiting it to just One additional engine (a total of 2). My reasoning for this is that having multiple engines possible for all units, for whatever means, would affect game balance far beyond what it may seem on paper, and would increase the difficulty of entry for new players...veteran players would have a much easier time designing units/facilities with multiple engines, and so would cause new players to feel even more lost than they already did before. Also, can you imagine how mind-bogglingly fast a unit with multiple engines would be, if the engines were built withthe full tech tree for speed behind them? If enabled though, even if it would just be for a battle station, any additional engines added should add considerably to the cost of each unit/facility produced.

Uh, that's 100% contrary to what the idea is going for. Multiple engines would be *allowed*, not *required* as you're implying. They wouldn't be overpowered because this isn't about taking the same engines we have now and using multiple. We could do two things: 1) As mentioned, the Speed of the unit could be determined by calculating a weighted average of the Speed of all the engines. This would completely eliminate any possible speed benefit from having multiple engines. Alternatively, 2) Engine speeds and costs could be completely rebalanced such that multiple engines use significantly more materials and HU, but allow lower tech players the capability of achieving the speeds of higher tech players.

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds