Population Growth

• Havoc
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 9 months ago #444 by Havoc
Population Growth was created by Havoc
I would love to see an Exponential growth curve instead of a linear one on colonies. This would properly represent living organism behavior, and make things a little more interesting. It would also provide a significant reason for using colony ships, even small ones.

A secondary to this would be that very large colonies become even more hard to control population on, which is a real life issue.

In terms of the level of initial growth and exponential increase thereafter, I would say (assuming we keep the 2 m cash colony model) a colony should take ~36-48 real hours to mature. It's just an approximation on my part, but being the spore that I am, I think that's a long-short time. If others have a method to the madness feel free to comment!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #454 by Trifler
Replied by Trifler on topic Population Growth
I for one would like to see the overall size of colonies scaled down considerably. One of the biggest gripes people had was having to build and rebuild literally hundreds of buildings per significant colony. The need for large numbers of identical buildings isn't necessary and it doesn't add anything to the game.

• Havoc
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 8 months ago #461 by Havoc
Replied by Havoc on topic Population Growth
I would love to see significant magnitude shifts in buildings. You can make a residential building with room for 10k residents for 100k creds and 1k mats, or one with room for 1m residents for 100m creds and 500k mats with a facility or two in between those numbers. Same with production buildings and storage facilities, etc.

That or reduce cash colony sizes again.

Another thing to look at will be do we want cash colonies to be THE method of making money or can we make a game model that will support producing large colonies which are both functional and lucrative thus cutting down on unnecessary player spread. Also, we should explore money making via research, trade, and scavenging.

Imho of course ;)

More
8 years 8 months ago #464 by Vimes
Replied by Vimes on topic Population Growth
I didnt like the cash colony ideal and the rather limited options that gave. I also think a lot of issues with rebuilding and such would be reduced if a good system of upgrade could be implemented. I feel its a tricky task and I would ike to hear folks ideas (in the relevant thread when it comes) on issues we may face with that.

More
8 years 8 months ago #474 by Trifler
Replied by Trifler on topic Population Growth
Could possibly add one or two commercial facilities that are specifically for making money I suppose.

More
8 years 8 months ago #525 by Sokari
Replied by Sokari on topic Population Growth
I think it would be a nice idea to allow trade routes - allow people to make money based on ships traveling from one colony to another bigger colony = bigger payoff

sort of your standard longer distance and bigger colony = more payoff per run. I think it would be quite easy to implement, reduce the need for seeding thousands of cash colonies and would also add "life" to the system seeing ships flying all over the place doing their own things.

lets say player X wants to set up a trade route with player Y, they'd goto the trade post click a button to send a trade route request to player Y (with selecting a planet from both players). Player Y then gets an in game mail asking if they want to accept, if they select yes and have good relations with each other then an npc ship will spawn with a route to go from one trade post to the other and back and give XXX credits per tick while it's active.

if you mixed that with the better buildings idea then you can have your giant colonies that are hard to manage but will give a substantial rewards.

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds