Anon.systems is bringing back Beyond Protocol!

• elprey
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #4075 by elprey
Hello everyone,

I am Luna Prey from the developer group Anon.systems. We are the creators of boards.zone forum software, and sociopath-community.com message boards.

After looking all the amazing work the BP development team has put into this game, we believe that this could be a huge opportunity to pick up where the development team left off, and to bring what should have been a block-busting MMORTS back into being.

Over the next week or two, we will be going through the project files to try and teach ourselves how it all works together, and then we will be getting the server up and running locally on our PCs, and testing. Hopefully before the week is out, we can have a public server up, and a website to go with it.

For anyone who is interested in contributing expertise, advice, support, or time to this project, I've created a discussion page which can be seen at www.boards.zone/board/5b428110a0d9d93c235e0dcb

Thank you for your time,

Luna Prey
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by elprey.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #4079 by Desertfox
Interesting...

Will it be the Sourceforge version, or Sir Paradox's version? He did a lot of bug fixing but didn't update sourceforge.

Also, any game rule changes planned? BP was a commercial failure due to a number of very poor game design decisions (ironic for a game that has design as a core feature). Anyway I've written extensively about that a few years ago so I'm not going to repeat it here.

www.beyondprotocol.org/component/option,...c,view/id,1854/#1854

• elprey
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #4082 by elprey

Desertfox wrote: Interesting...

Will it be the Sourceforge version, or Sir Paradox's version? He did a lot of bug fixing but didn't update sourceforge.

Also, any game rule changes planned? BP was a commercial failure due to a number of very poor game design decisions (ironic for a game that has design as a core feature). Anyway I've written extensively about that a few years ago so I'm not going to repeat it here.

www.beyondprotocol.org/component/option,...c,view/id,1854/#1854

The Sourceforge version. I assume that SirParadox still has plans to start his own private server so will not be willing to share his work with us. I also have found SirParadox to be generally unlikable and thus have no desire to work directly with him on this project. I think players will find the Anon.Systems dev team to be far easier to communicate with.

No rules will be changed from the original BP game. The goal is to get the server up and running and working just as it was when it was on the official servers.

I do understand that BP is a difficult game to learn, but so is Eve Online. In the end this is a very complex game which requires users to manage not only their economies and population, but also their minerals. I love that players have the opportunity to create their own alloys with unique properties, and design their own ships which can then be sent on patrols. The game is about building a space empire, and controlling all facets of it, and it's not a game that is played in a single session such as Star Craft 2, instead players must grow and manage their civilization over a period of months and even years. The politics, alliances, factions, and relationships that are developed as a result of this dynamic are valuable and unique. Even if only 20 players choose to play the server, the game can still be engaging and fun.

I never found the game to be too bad. I think the reason for the flop of the game was a lack of marketing, and a naivety to think anyone would pay a monthly payment for any RTS game. As we have no intention of charging users or making money from this title, this is not going to be a problem for our team. All this being said, after the server has been up and running for some time, and our team has more experience with it, we can then consider making changes.

Our progress has been slow but steady. Over the past 4 days we have slowly worked to understand, debug, and bring up the SourceForge servers. We believe we will finally have the game up and running locally before this week is out. If all goes well, we can then focus next week on making the game available to the public.

• elprey
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 3 months ago #4083 by elprey
Update:

Trying to get the Sourceforge version of BP has been quite an adventure. The lack of documentation means learning about the application by looking at it's code thoroughly in order to understand how it expects itself to be ran, and then configuring settings to ensure those conditions are met. It's been slow and boring, but we have gained a good understanding of the C# language and the inner workings of running the server. We have got the server up and running finally, and are able to successfully land on a planet, and build a command center. We did come across one bug where the re-spawn unit disappears if you zoom into a planet before landing on it.... but it's not game breaking.. These are obviously bugs we will have to look at in the near future.

For now we are focusing on gaining a better understanding of the account creation system. I think we will try to allow members of boards.zone to automatically have access to the game, so that may take a day or two to implement.

Once we finish account setup, creation, and login, we can move onto moving the servers to public so that people can begin playing, though it will be buggy. My optimistic prediction is that the multiplayer server and account registration system will be up by Monday!

• elprey
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 3 months ago #4084 by elprey
Another quick update:

By staying up late (it's almost 2am) We were able to get the server up and running just fine, and we can login and play multiplayer. The game seems mostly bug free.

That means tomorrow (Friday) we can focus on getting account registration setup, and then hopefully placing everything on a public server! So my new optimistic goal is to have BP2 available for play by Friday evening USA Eastern time!

• elprey
  • Topic Author
More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #4085 by elprey
Update: We expect to have everything up and running and playable by this evening! Will post more details once it's up. Very exciting for us at Anon.Systems :)

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds