• Ghosage
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
8 years 7 months ago #1189 by Ghosage
Noob Vs Griefing was created by Ghosage
Howdy doo,

We need to have clear definition of what a noob is.

If the devs could put an indicator or something on a player indicating noob status.

Because we can not tell if a person is a noob because they can change their name and respawn.

What do you define as griefing?
Repeated wiping out all the colonies and ships? I think so
Is it griefing if we kill an occasional fleet or colony and let them rebuild? I do not think so

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #1190 by Blazde
Replied by Blazde on topic Re: Noob Vs Griefing
Acid test to tell if you're griefing a noob:
1) Wipe out all his colonies and ships repeatedly
2) If you get banned then you were probably griefing a noob

• Ghosage
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
8 years 7 months ago #1191 by Ghosage
Replied by Ghosage on topic Re: Noob Vs Griefing
Lol

Yes I would say that makes it straight forward but at the same time.

Blazde are you consider a noob you have been playing for how long?

If the new system opens up are they noobs?

They been playing for how long?

Maybe if the noob indicator can be based on time played.

But how long do you go from Noob to beginner?

More
8 years 7 months ago #1193 by Blazde
Replied by Blazde on topic Re: Noob Vs Griefing
I think anyone should be fair game for any level of annihilation in T2 and T3-land, no matter how inexperienced or when they started. You want to expand there you have to be prepared to fight it out. In T1s.... it makes a difference if it's someone's starting T1 or not and you can't definitively tell that

I don't know if I'm considered a noob but I know there's definetely a ton of stuff I'd need to learn before being able to hold my own in an all-out-war againt a vet, nevermind vets with a couple of months extra special tech and similarly experienced allies backing them up. The problem is learning that stuff. When you go all-out and start to roll over every last colony a player has they very rapidly lose any ability to learn and fight back. The respawn process IS pretty powerful but it's basically tedious to build up again, and without any guarantees that you won't just be bashed back down again (perhaps by a different player) it has to sap will to play too. And it's still basically just an escape from getting bashed, it's not helping you fight back. If anything it's making you more determined to avoid getting into scuffles in the future

Imo the solution is to have some much better key-colony protection, like the offline-invulnerability but not trivially breakable by agents and applies in some way when online. There's similar precedents for this in other games (I'm thinking of browser games, like Planetarion, Khan Wars, Evony, Ministry of War, etc.. because there's not much in the way of comparable MMORTS). For example: at least one planet with full protection, *perhaps* some limits on population, on what can be built, limits to special tech progress (or not?), but definetely there should remain strong incentives to expand while not trashing your ability to accomplish anything if you're forced back to your last redoubt. That way no matter how far you got bashed back, no matter who you faced you'd at least be able to bunker down, keep your vitals ticking over, keep learning, and plan a comeback without the traumatic process of starting over

There's downsides to a mechanic like that... it'd get in the way of genuine noob wars. Someone could expand hugely and build up a large cache of components/mins in their safe planet then sit safely on it and terrorise the galaxy knowing noone could retaliate. There'd have to be some limits to counter that, and they woudldn't be easy to define given how flexible the current game mechanics are

But I really think something definite built into the game mechanics is needed. It doesn't make for interesting wars and politics if everyone has to be constantly afraid of how their actions will impact the game as a whole. Having to worry that going to war in a war-game might drive away players from the game you're playing is immersion breaking. It's the responsibility of the game mechanics to deal with

That said.... in the meantime, with the absence of any mechanics to deal with it, if SirP or anx tell you you're going too far then that's your cue to listen to the law and excerise restraint. My first post wasn't entirely unserious :)

• Ghosage
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
8 years 7 months ago #1194 by Ghosage
Replied by Ghosage on topic Re: Noob Vs Griefing
See that is the thing if we had some clear indicator the noobs may feel a little more assured.

More
8 years 7 months ago #1195 by anxcon
Replied by anxcon on topic Re: Noob Vs Griefing
war someone 90% of your score or higher seems fair :evil:

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds